Tuesday 2 June 2009

Instructions for the Organiser

I have been asked if instructions were available for the organiser I made for the June BIA DT so I have done some. Now, don't be alarmed when you look at the photos as I have done the instructions after making the organiser so just made up little dummy ones to show you.... follow the measurement given and yours will be the correct size! ;)

You will need the following:
Materials
2 pieces of chipboard 8 ¼” x 5 ¼”
5 sheets of patterned paper 9 ¼” x 6 ¼”
4 sheets of cream cardstock 10 ¼” x 8 ¼”
1 piece of cream cardstock 9” x 4”
1 notebook 8” x 5”
1 metre of ribbon for the ties
Patterned paper to decorate front of pockets, ribbons, flowers, brads, beads etc
Letters for the titles of the pockets and cover
Instructions
1. Cut two pieces of chipboard 8 ¼” x 5 ¼”
2. Cut two pieces of patterned paper 9 ¼” x 6 ¼”. Glue your paper to the chipboard and then score on all four sides.

3. Trim the four corners and attach double side tape (DST) to the edges.

4. Cut a strip of cardstock 9” x 4” and score at 1” intervals to make valley and mountain folds. Attach this to the edge of the chipboard covers halfway down with DST.
5. Take your metre length of ribbon and place it across the centre. Now add DST to all the edges avoiding the ribbon (you do not want the ribbon to get stuck to the tape).
6. Cut two pieces of patterned paper 8” x 5” and place onto the inside covers making sure the ribbon doesn’t get caught on the DST. The ribbon must be able to slide freely between the covers when you are finished.
7. Cut four pieces of cream cardstock 10 ¼” x 8 ¼” and make pockets.

8. Using a circle punch snip a half circle into the top of the pockets.

9. Using the offcuts of cream cardstock you can make tags to put in the front pockets. Using a corner rounder on the top two edges, attach ribbon and decorate.
10. Cut four pieces of various patterned papers 4 ¾” x 7” and attach to the front of the pockets.
I have added extra pockets to the front of these to take extra tags, notes etc.

11. Make a patterned paper cover for your notebook and then punch holes in it with your BIA. Punch matching holes in the front top chipboard cover and then bind the notebook into place.

12. Embellish and decorate the notebook and pockets as you wish. Add the descriptions to the pockets and a title to your front cover. I added crystals following the shape of the flower on the paper. Add beads to the ruffle of the ends of the ribbons to decorate if you wish.
Now you can start to use it and hopefully always know when something is due to be paid!

21 comments:

  1. Ooh Annette I love it, it looks so complicated but hopefully if I follow your instructions it will come together OK, I love the basic grey papers, now not sure if I need an organiser as such but sure I could adapt - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous, Annette! I think I might want to do something similar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - I shouldn't look at your blog - everytime I do I think I NEEEED a BIA! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love it, might have to give that a go xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Annette, will give it a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Annette ... I will certainly have a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a bind it all, but those are great instructions - and good nails too, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annette, great instructions - thank you.

    I've a couple of things over on my blog for you.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for these instructions, this one goes on my "to do" list...now if I could only just find said list..lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant Annette :) You are truely the BIA Queen hun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing all your expertise. This is fantastic. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow that is great! love it must have a go. great blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm yummy. Tis fabby. Thanks for sharing. Must get my bia out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial ! Love the bling bling at the front !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorail and thank you for sharing. Wish I had a bia maybe christmas fingers crossed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Annette - well as promised had a go at the organiser and I've posted the finished results on my blog www.celtichouse.blogspot.com I loved making it, had a few issues with the spine, I think that the piece needs to be 10" long not 9" long otherwise there isn't enough room to attach 4 envelopes, only 3 - unless I've misunderstood the instructions completely - which wouldn't surprise me LOL! I decided against an organiser and instead turned it into a mini book. I've still included the BIA on the inside cover, but rather than a notebook, I simply cut some cardstock down and attached photos and embellishments etc. Thank you for sharing your fantastic design with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant tutorial combined with beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello from Cape Town - where it is only 18C right now :)
    Found you via the Bind it all gallery...
    Your mini books are blowing me away they are so ingenious!
    Just loving them all!
    Now to make some and upload!
    Keep cool!
    Helen
    Firenze Cards

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning! I came here from Celtic House after seeing Virginia's great version. Thanks for the tutorial. penny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)