Tuesday 29 July 2008

Wear Sunscreen BIA Mini Book

A mini book bound with my BIA using Cosmo Cricket papers and one of my own versions of the Prima Beauty Marks and lots of bling with my Bejeweller. The journalling is from one of my favourite songs - which is a weird description because its spoken and not sung. :) Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann.
" If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.
Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.
Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself
Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own. Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. Read the directions, even if you don't follow them. Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young".
Instructions
Instructions for making the covers - this would be handy for calendars and make great gifts.
Chipboard - for the base you will need:
2 pieces 5" x 51/2"
2 pieces 2" x 51/2"
For your front cover you will need:
1 piece 5" x 51/2"
Cardstock and papers of your choice to cover.
Double sided tape
Because the total length of the base is greater than 12" you need to make it two sections and join them. So you will adhere 1 piece of the larger and one piece of the smaller to your first paper. Then repeat this for the other 2 pieces. Make sure you leave a gap between the chipboard pieces of at least the width of the chipboard you are using (I use two offcuts as my measure).
Now put both pairs together, ensure there is a gap between so that the paper doesn't tear when you fold it up into a W. Cover the entire thing with cardstock on the inside.
This is what you should have when you are done. :)
When I am doing a few pieces and I want the holes to line up nicely, I cut off a piece of scrap paper the same width as my project and fold it half and mark it. I can then use this on all the cover bits so I get the same centre every time!
Hope you have fun!

19 comments:

  1. A great looking mini book. Some super advice there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Annette - this book is stunning ! But sorry, had to laugh at some of your hairstyles ! Ho ho ho ho ho !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely book and some great advice. Thanks for the tip with the BIA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - fab mini book with some great advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. superb mini book and I LOVE that you have done you !!! love the design.

    Ok now ... onto the sunscreen. we are twins, seperated at irth I swear ! This was a song I played at dd 21st cos I love it. and I know the words and everything......

    weird .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous - made me chuckle - fab instructions too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing the instructions for this. Another super book Annette.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your advice! Sadly, I'm old enough to agree with you! The cover on your book is absolutely beautiful. I think I need to add you to my blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book ... what a fabulous idea. As for the tip on lining up pages on the BIA .... pure genius .... Thank you for sharing X

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful book I love that song!!!! and thank you for adding the how to make the cover instructions. very very handy!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab song, fab book, fab instructions... What more could I ask for in a blog post?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea for a book, I liked the Baz Lehrman song and it was definitely not my usual type of song. Think more people should take his advice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow totally love that book Annette, it is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally amazing VV !
    I love what you do.
    Thanks for the "how to" as well x

    ReplyDelete
  15. gave you a shout out on my blog this a.m. 7/31 and collaborator and I linked to you on our Body Politics blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a totally fabulous book - you are very talented!
    Love your blog - I will be back. Thanks for the birthday wishes.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great class - thanks for sharing. Love the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know you posted this a long time ago. I love perusing your blog. Thank you so much for the great tutorials. They help me so much with my BIA which I am trying to use a lot more often. This particular post really struck a chord with your words of wisdom on how we view ourselves. Thanks for the reminder. Even at 61 I still need it. Big Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)