I had a bit of a sharp learning curve with bias binding and mitred corners... which actually sounds as if I was a success at both but in reality I sort of winged it! But, not being the type of person that will allow lack of skill on my part to stop me from doing something I persevered!!
I decided that the big pillow with the large bow would look better with the black edging like the quilt, so I had another go at the bias binding and edged the poppy material and it was a success!
I found out two things with regard to bias binding, the first is that you should sew your strips of bias together before you iron them in half... it saves a heap of grief if your brain is totally incapable of figuring out what direction something is going to go when you join them with that slanted sewing seam, the second is that no matter how much bias binding your brain says you will need by measuring and adding all the sides up... do an extra strip, because if you run out two inches from the end it is really not funny. Of course, I didn't actually have to mitre any corners for the bow but it did give me the boost I needed to try them once more.
Ta da! I had a spare bit of poppy material so thought I would make a place mat for the bedside table And yes the mitred corners are more mitred rounders... but I am getting better!! LOL
Voila! The guest bed is all dressed up and ready, complete with cats! ;)