Saturday 31 January 2009

The Cow's Head {and other featured creatures...}

This is the planner I have made for my trip to Egypt in March. A country I have wanted to visit all my life and see the pyramids and the sphinx.

Have used loads of different sized pages and lots of pockets for tags and notes. In the back of the journal is a writing pad so I can sit each evening and write about the days activities and then pop them into the pockets.











I used one the Zutter's Cover Alls which makes it even easier to take with me, as I can slip the inner contents out of the cover and take that with me and then put them back in after my holiday.


Chris and I took us ourselves off to the local fish market to have a look around, there is a small veggie section and a row of butchers there as well and I was hoping to be able to pick up some nice fresh stuff.

If I ever mention wanting to try squid.... please remind me that this is how they are sold! They appear to have been plonked on bare concrete with little regard to hygiene or anything else and everyone just picks out the ones they want.... I'll pass on them, thanks!

Red snapper and some really pretty yellow and black fish that looked they would be more at home in a nice aquarium rather than a fish stall! We did buy some white snapper and some lovely big prawns for our tea.
Walking along to the small row of butchers shops we came across a very odd sight... it seems they put the head of the cow on display so that customers know the meat is fresh and where it came from... as you can see... Chris was not totally at ease with this situation.
I decided that I should also have my photo taken with Molly Moo RIP and the little butcher came dashing out to hold her head up for the pic... I think if you look closely you can see that this is not amusement but hysteria at being so close to poor deceased Molly Moo! The beef did look fresh but after meeting the cow's head I didn't really have the heart to buy a fillet or rump!!

14 comments:

  1. wow beautiful book as is always, you must be getting excited about your Egypt trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the travel book! All the little pockets and pages...wonderful!

    Wow! On the market....the cow's head is freaking me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think I would have liked that market much Annette, certainly not the squid (I'm allergic).

    The book is fantastic - love the colours you have chosen. Can't wait to see what it looks like after your trip.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not entirely sure a cows head would entice me into the shop, more likely make me quickly away!!

    The book is fab what a great idea to take on your trip, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh - that is bizarre - not a great marketing tool!!!
    Love your travel book, it'll be fab when it's got all your holiday snaps in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Egypt is fantastic, we went in 2007 and talk of nothing but going back there. The cows head has just reminded me why I would prefer to be a veggie!! Gorgeous book and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am in love with your travel book, which papers are they?
    egypt is awesome, i would love to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sit cold now?? Why are the men wearing hats??
    Love the Journal - are you doing a Nile Cruise?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this VV....and especially your idea of journalling every day and popping it into the pockets. Wonderful book as always x

    Your photos are brilliant...it's great to be there with you (so to speak) and see another country through your eyes
    ....and lets face it....its not every day you see a chair with a cows head on it !

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! The planner is amazing. I can't wait to see it again when it's full up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love your Egypt book, Annette. Its simply stunning. Not the cow though. Thats scary. You looking uber fab.
    Lots of love
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Egypt was on my 40 things to do before i turned 40 list but as i past that milstone last month with no tickets in sight it is now the TOP of my "bucket list"..lol

    Lucky girl...LOVE the book :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Egypt book

    *retches at Molly Moos head* PML !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, you should have bought the head, would look nice on your wall of masks in the Scotland house!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)