Thursday 4 December 2008

JYC December 4th

Well, I am suitably impressed with myself, I am still up to date, by this time last year, I was already lagging behind and playing catch-up at the weekend!
The prompt for today was to think about our perfect Christmas... and I found this image on the web which is so much how I would like my Christmas to look!!


The photo opens to reveal the hidden journalling which might be a bit hard to read so here it is:

The Perfect Christmas... I think as women we try and create perfection, and because we cannot succeed in replicating the image in Good Home or whatever magazine is our particular poison, then we are disappointed and feel as if we have failed or fallen short of expectations. Like the line in the Sunscreen Song says – ‘do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly’ ....
I would love to have my home looking pristine and decorated with gems and beautiful objects in just the right niches, a 12 foot tree that looks like the one in the shopping mall, family and friends sitting about in suitably matching attire with smiling faces, the Christmas tablescape honed to perfection with crystal glassware and shimmering candles, the food cooked exactly right and on time... but with age comes wisdom and acceptance that these things may happen but not all on the same Christmas, and the best times I’ve had were the times when I forgot to serve the shrimp starters and we ate them for high tea with laughter over my forgetfulness, being relaxed and couch potatoeing on comfy sofas with people I love, watching people’s expressions when they opened gifts with an eyebrow lift that says ‘what on earth were they thinking?’and everyone joins in the laughter.
This year, once more, we are far from home, far from family, my first Christmas without my son, in a place where Christmas isn’t a national holiday, but I will fill my home with the guys who can’t get back to their families for the holiday because they have to work, with neighbours, new friends who have never done Christmas without their mothers... and I will try to make it perfect..

14 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous image, Annette - and I love your journalling. I too, would love my home to look like they do in the Christmas mags, but this will never happen!

    Well done on keeping up with the prompts. I'm already a couple of days behind!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such lovely journalling - so true and i only know to well what it is like to have christmas without family.

    Well done
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a very perfect Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette you have brought tears to my eyes with your journalling, Your page is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fab page and wonderful journaling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful journaling Annette & so true.
    Well done keeping up, & thanks for the advice on my blog!
    Rach x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annette, your page is gorgeous... Your journalling heartfelt... and you know what. You will have a special Christmas because you special by opening your home to your new friends...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is perfect!!! thanks for visiting my blog!

    xoxo
    cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your journalling is very touching.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh.... Thats lovely - can I come too on Christmas Day??

    Fiona
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful page and I love the journalling - such a beautiful picture.

    Toni :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning project and lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaaaah - I couldn't agree more with your journalling, particularly your plan to fill the house with people who can't be with their families. Definitely the way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  14. And this beautiful, heartfelt, touching entry from a lady who had a "thing" about journaling when I first met her ;o)
    I'm so sorry that Christopher will not be spending Christmas with you this year, one of those really hard firsts that is inevitable I guess :o(
    But it sure sounds like you will be making a lot of other mom's boys very happy on Christmas day... will you be serving your world famous tart?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)